Compared to using a sanding block or sandpaper, random orbital sanders shave time off your wood sanding projects and prevent swirl marks. And since sanding disks spin continuously in a randomized elliptical pattern, the direction of wood grain isn’t an issue. Just apply light and steady pressure with your palm and let the sander do the work. These simple features combined will cut production time, improve ergonomics and result in a more consistent finished piece.
Plus, many random orbital sanders like 3M™ Clean Sanding Elite Series come with vacuum systems to suck up all the resulting sawdust, improving worker safety and keeping the jobsite cleaner. But the key to getting the most out of your sanding applications is to start with the right system. For optimal performance, choose the sanding disks, backings and vacuum system right for your application.
3M™ Clean Sanding Discs Selection Tips for Woodworking
Choosing the right sanding disc starts with understanding the application. What substrate material will you be sanding? Does your job require aggressive coating removal or fine sanding for finish work? Does your sanding need to provide a fast cut rate while offering flexibility for sanding corners and edges? Or, do you need something more durable for sharp edges?
The answers to these questions will help you identify the right disc for optimum performance and longer disc life. View 3M™ Sanding Made Simple Brochure for more details.
3 Steps to Choosing the Best Sanding Disc System for Your Job
- Choose your Backing:
- Paper backings are the most common and cost-effective backing ideal for general purpose applications. Paper backing is not as durable as film or cloth backings.
- Film backings are a good general-purpose backing that offers more durability than paper, but not as much as cloth. Film backings also offer a flat surface that allows for more consistent finish.
- Cloth backings are ideal for heavy-duty use in coarse grade sanding and heavy removal. Cloth backings are the most durable backing and used in demanding applications or materials with sharp edges.
- Choose the Right Attachment Types:
- Hookit™ Attachment System is a reusable standard hook and loop system ideal for switching from grade to grade through a sequence.
- Stikit™ Attachment System is a pressure-sensitive adhesive that comes either with a tab liner or as a roll. These discs are flat with no cushion for a more consistent finish than hook and loop.
- Decide on Dust Extraction System
Most sanders come with a vacuum system that can suck up fine wood particles when the sander is activated. To collect dust:
- Choose the 3M central vac tool or self-generating vac tool.
- Line up the holes on the dust-free discs with dust collection holes on the back-up pad, or
- Place Clean Sanding disc on backup pad (does not require holes to be lined up)
Just remember, even when using a dust extraction system, it is still recommended to wear safety goggles that offer 360° protection from flying objects, as well as a respirator. Your tools are only as good as the operator behind them, so protect yourself and others when sanding.
Explore the 3M™ line of abrasive sanding disc products for superior performance:
3M™ Cubitron™ Paper Disc 732U- All-Purpose
Available in Stikit™ or Hookit™ options, the 3M™ Cubitron™ Paper Disc 732U is an ideal stock removal solution for all-purpose sanding and provides fast cut and long life.
3M™ Film Disc 375L- Aggressive
Available in Stikit™ or Hookit™ options, the 3M™ Film Disc 375L offers an aggressive cut with a consistent finish due to its film backing.
3M™ Paper Disc 426U- Fine Finish
Available in Stikit™ or Hookit™ options, the 3M™ Paper Disc 426U is ideal for fine finishing and has a load-resistant coating that prevents clogging for better cut and longer disc life.
3M™ Cloth Disc 900DZ- Edges and Corners
Available in Stikit™ or Hookit™ options, the 3M™ Cloth Disc 900DZ has a tough ceramic abrasive grain with a cloth backing for flexibility required in contour sanding.
We’re proud to partner with 3M for all of your woodworking needs and offer a wide array of abrasives, adhesives, tapes, and safety products like hearing protection, eye protection and more. Give United Surface Preparation a call at 800-322-1413 to learn more about the custom products we carry to help you work more efficiently and more profitably today.